Amgen Scholars ProgramAn Undergraduate Summer Research Program in Science and Biotechnology
The Amgen Scholars Program
is a national program to increase learning and networking opportunities for students committed to pursuing a career in science or engineering.
During summer 2013, UCLA will host 24
Amgen Scholars. 12
will be undergraduates from UCLA and 12
will be from other 4-year colleges and universities.2013 PROGRAM DATES: 10 WEEK PROGRAM
Sunday, JUNE 23 (move-in) - Friday AUGUST 30, 2013 (move-out)
Opening Reception: Monday, JUNE 24
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR SUMMER 2013
Click here for details on the application process. PROGRAM DESCRIPTION:
Students interested in summer research in any area of biomedical science, chemistry, bioengineering or chemical engineering are encouraged to apply. Students will be paired with a UCLA faculty mentor if the student does not already have a mentor at UCLA. Please visit the Amgen Faculty web site
for information on over 100 potential mentors on the UCLA campus.
In addition to working full time in the laboratory for 10 weeks, the program features:
- Weekly luncheons where students can meet and discuss science with invited faculty speakers
- Weekly workshops on such topics as applying to graduate school, how to write a personal statement and how to give a research presentation
- Three- day Biotechnology Symposium sponsored by the Amgen Corporation held in Los Angeles
- GRE test preparation
- Access to UCLA campus facilities
- Social events to network with other summer researchers
Upon receiving an Amgen Scholars Award, students sign an agreement to fulfill the following requirements
- To devote full effort in participation in the Amgen Scholars Program. Scholars cannot take any courses or hold a job throughout the duration of the program. In addition, all participants must be able to attend the program for its entire duration.
- To live on campus in the housing provided by the UCLA Amgen Scholars Program and UCLA Summer Programs for Undergraduate Research.
- To participate fully in the life of the research group, respect the work of all members of the laboratory, and attend and participate in laboratory meetings or other gatherings.
- To attend all required conferences, workshops, weekly luncheons and social events.
- To give a poster presentation describing his/her summer research project.
- To submit a research paper to the UCLA Amgen Scholars Program Director at the conclusion of the program
- To complete a pre and post-program survey.
- To complete all necessary lab training courses prior to beginning work in their research lab. UCLA students should have completed all required classes prior to applying. Please see the Environmental Health & Safety training schedule for class dates and enrollment instructions.
Applicants must be:
- U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents
- Undergraduates enrolled in four-year colleges and universities in the U.S., Puerto Rico and other U.S. Territories.
- Sophomores (with 4 quarters or 3 semesters of college experience), Juniors and non-graduating Seniors (who are returning in the fall to continue their undergraduate experience).
- Cumulative G.P.A. of 3.2 or above.
- Interested in pursuing a Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D.
Please note: The UCLA Amgen Scholars Program reserves the right to adjust stipend amounts for students receiving alternative funding sourcesFor UCLA Students Receiving Financial Aid:
- $350 PER WEEK: $3500 for 10 weeks
- ROOM & BOARD: on-campus housing and some meals are provided
- TRAVEL ALLOWANCE: A travel allowance of up to $500 is offered to non-UCLA out of state students for travel to/from Los Angeles. Non-UCLA students who reside in California will be offered a travel allowance of up to $250.
When Financial Aid is disbursed, it credits to a UCLA student's BAR account, paying current year outstanding charges. These charges include registration fees, tuition, and other education-related expenses. Any aid credited to the student's account in excess of these charges is then made available as a refund check which is mailed to the student or deposited electronically into their bank account.
We highly encourage UCLA and visiting Amgen Scholars to enroll in Bruin Direct
, the fastest, most secure way to receive stipends at UCLA. Funds are deposited electronically to students' personal checking accounts. Note:
Since Amgen Scholars cannot enroll in courses over the summer, they typically do not use financial aid during this time. Therefore, unless there are any existing current year outstanding charges, students primarily receive their summer stipend in the form of a disbursement check or direct deposit.For Visiting Students and UCLA Students Not Receiving Financial Aid:
These student stipends will be issued in the form of a disbursement check that is deposited electronically or mailed to the student. FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:Dr. Tama Hasson
Director, UCLA Amgen Scholars Program
Email: email@example.comCindy Mosqueda
UCLA Amgen Scholars Program Representative
URC-Sciences, Program Representative
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgMany thanks to the Amgen Foundation for such generous support of this program