Information on 199 vs 99

Often faculty inquire what is the difference between a 99 and a 199. Here we summarize the most common questions. If you have further questions, please contact Dr. Tama Hasson (

What is the Student Research Program?
The Student Research Program or SRP 99 is designed as an entry-level experience, particularly suited to lower-division and first-quarter transfer students, and allows undergraduates early in their academic career to participate in research or engage in scholarly efforts under the direction of a faculty mentor. The 99 is a one quarter commitment, however many students do one or two 99's before they matriculate to the next level of unit-bearing research, the 199.

What is the Departmental 199?
The Departmental 199 is designed for upper division students that are participating in an independent research project leading in most cases to the submission of a thesis or research paper. Most students sign on for 2 or 3 quarters of 199, and many departments offer this as a series (e.g. 199A, 199B, 199C). 198 is the honors version of the 199, and is offered for students going for College Honors.

Below are a list of the major differences between 99 and 199, so that you can better decide whether you would like to take on a 99 vs a 199 student. Please note - there are some variations by department so speak with your own departmental counselor to get the final details.

How does the time commitment vary between 199s and 99s?
For SRP 99, students receive one unit of credit for 3-5 hours of work per week or two units for 6 or more hours of work. For a departmental 199, students are expected to work a minimum of 12 hours and up to 20 hours per week for 4 units of credit.

How many students can I take?
For SRP 99 you can take up to 10 students per quarter. For 199, the numbers vary by department.

How does a student enroll?
For SRP 99 a student enrolls by submitting a signed SRP contract (available on MyUcla) to the appropriate Undergraduate Research Center. SRP contracts must be filed with the Undergraduate Research Center by 5:00pm Friday of second week (excluding zero week). For 199, the contract usually must be submitted by Friday of 2nd week, but final deadlines vary by department.

Where does a student go if they have questions about 199 or 99?
For SRP 99 the student should go the appropriate Undergraduate Research Center (URC). The Center location is determined by the Faculty's department. For faculty in Life & Physical Sciences, Medicine, Psychiatry, Engineering & Math -students should be directed to go to URC-Sciences in 2121 LSB. For Faculty in Humanities, Arts, Psychology and Social Sciences - they should go to the URC-HASS in A334 Murphy Hall. For 199 questions, the student should go to the departmental office for their faculty mentor.

What grade do students get for 99 vs. 199?
SRP 99 is P/NP. 199 is for a letter grade.

Can someone else sign a contract on my behalf?
For a 99, the signature must belong to the faculty mentor. A graduate student, postdoctoral fellow or secretary may not sign on your behalf. The URCs will accept an email from you in lieu of a signature if you are out of town. You can email your approval to

How do I sign up to be a faculty mentor?
For SRP 99, you must submit a faculty participation form

Once you have a form on file, you do not need to sign up again. To find out if you are a registered mentor, ask the appropriate URC or ask a student if they can see your name under Contract Courses.

During exam weeks is it ok if the student works less?
Yes. But you may ask a student to work more hours before or after midterms to make up for the missed time.

What is expected of me as a mentor?
It is expected that you will give the student background reading in your field of interest. It is also expected that you will meet with the student periodically to keep track of the student's progress. For a 199 student, it is expected that the student will attend and participate in lab meetings and also submit a research report each term. You should also expect to be asked to write a letter of recommendation or serve as a reference for the student for their future job or professional school applications. For those unsure about mentorship, we recommend "Advisor, Teacher, Role Model, Friend: On being a mentor to students in science and engineering" by the National Academy of Sciences, The National Academy of Engineering and the Institute of Medicine.

Where do I go if I have more questions?
Visit the SRP 99 web site by clicking the link to the left. There you will find answers to frequently asked questions. For questions about 199, speak to your departmental counselor or SAO.